Friday, October 16, 2009

Outside Looking In

I watched a segment on New York City in the news this morning. I didn't have my glasses on for half of it (ask me why I've been waking up at 5 AM for the past three days!) Judging by the exhibits on at the Met I'd say this was filmed at the beginning of the summer when it did nothing but rain. I was a little disappointed to see my home at its wettest and worst.

The segment mostly focused on the Meatpacking District (for the boutiques) and the Financial District.

Apparently the best hamburger in the city is the Corner Bistro. Where the fuck is that?

They also did a clip on street food, which of course made me think of my friends at the museum! They featured the "Rainbow Softee" guy, which I thought was awesome -- the rainbow doesn't stand for all of the flavors he serves, if you catch my drift.

Also, Japanese people are fascinated by the Naked Cowboy.

They also did a clip on New York fashion which, frankly, was fascinating. Because it's just an attempt to imitate Japanese fashion...except Japanese people think it's more fashionable than what they've got. And it's not as well-made.

One thing that really stood out to me is how shitty everybody looks. Japanese people put a lot into their appearance, even if it looks like crap by Western standards. But most of the women featured in the fashion segment had stringy, damaged hair, and cheaply made clothes (by Japanese standards). The fact that there were so many overweight people didn't really stand out to me, but I'm sure it will when I get back. Also, everyone looks so harried. On the train, Japanese people have three expressions: happy, neutral, or asleep. It's very rare to see anyone who looks pissed/stressed/miserable, though I have seen a few. Obviously, the economy is on everybody's minds in New York; I haven't seen too many of its effects here in Japan, but I guess their economy has sucked for so long it doesn't even matter anymore.

Two quibbles: a segment about New York and no pizza? Also, are feather headbands really a new trend? Can you make sure you burn them all before I get home? Thanks.

2 comments:

  1. yes, feather headbands are a new trend. there's a definite 40s-ish comeback in u.s. fashion right now. i think it might have also been helped along a little bit by what's-her-name from season 5 of project runway. kaylee? kylie? something like that.

    i also like the feather headbands, so XP i will make sure to wear them walking around haverford now... but i have to buy them first.

    -dena

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pleeeeeeeease do a post on Japanese fashion and I will love you forever. I don't think New Yorkers are trying to copy Japanese fashion right now. There's this "urban" thing that's going on right now that would look great if everyone was wearing designer clothes... but for the most part looks desperate. When I was home this week, I saw a woman on East 77th and 2nd in a short denim skirt and shredded leggings. Later that day, I saw a woman in our building wearing leggings with a yellow snakeskin print. WHY?!

    I think we shall have to find the Corner Bistro and see if this claim is true. Love you!

    ReplyDelete